Staying at School or going to college is not the right choice for everyone, but you can still gain a first class education that will get you to university by choosing neither of those. As a Football Education Scholar with Accrington Stanley Community Trust, your academic progression is taken as seriously as your sporting development. Once you have achieved your GCSE results you will be enrolled onto one of our two education programmes.
The BTEC Level 2 in Sport is a 1 year course which involves education, work experience, practical training and matches. The course follows the same structure as a college meaning students will find themselves in Monday-Friday within the hours of 9am-4pm term time only.
The minimum requirements for this course are 2 D’s or above at GCSE level. Students who enrol onto this programme will study with us for 12 months, when they complete the qualification they will start the BTEC Level 3 programme the following academic year.
The BTEC Level 3 in Sport is a 2 year course which involves education, work experience, practical training and matches. The course follows the same structure as a college meaning students will find themselves in Monday-Friday within the hours of 9am-4pm term time only.
- Study a Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma in Sport – Equivalent to 3 A-Levels and allows entrance to University
- Full time 2 year course based at Accrington Stanley Football Club.
- All work is done on laptops via a state of the art virtual learning platform approved by the Department for Education.
- Up to 17.5 hours of education per week at the stadium.
- 4.5 hours of 11aside Football and Futsal training per week.
- Compete in the English Colleges Category 3 11aside League.
- Futsal league fixtures against other professional clubs as well as 7 and 11-aside matches.
- Available to students aged 16-18 on completion of their GCSE’s.
- A minimum of 4 GCSE’s or equivalent at C or above.
- A keen interest in the football or sports industry.
- Exit routes into University or foundation degrees.
- Undertake coaching qualifications and refereeing qualifications.
- Work experience opportunities in the sport and leisure industry.
- Become a futsal player competing in the FLT Futsal League.
- Play against clubs such as Preston, Blackpool, Leeds etc.
- Professionally coached by Accrington Stanley coaches.
- Become part of Accrington Stanley Football Club, represent the club, wear the kit and study at the stadium.
- Watch the first team play in League Two matches at the stadium.
The Academic qualification of the Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma in Sport is made up of a series of units. You will cover:
- Principles of Anatomy & Physiology
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Testing for Sport & Exercise
- Fitness Training for Sport & Exercise
- Sport Nutrition
- Psychology for Sports Performance (Equivalent to 1 A Level)
- Technical & Tactical Skills in Sport
- The Athlete’s Lifestyle
- Sports Coaching
- Current Issues in Sport
- Exercise, Health & Lifestyle
- Instructing Physical Activity & Exercise (Equivalent to 2 A levels)
- Analysis of Sports Performance
- Talent Identification & Development in Sport
- Sports Injuries
- Work Experience in Sport
- Rules, Regulations & Officiating in Sport
- Sport as a Business
Virtual Learning Platform:
- Receive a personal log in
- Content supported by tutor
- Complete tasks and assessments directly through the platform.
All students will follow the green timetable below when starting the course. We have also designed a red timetable for students who may need extra support with their education which will see them in class for 17.5 hours as opposed to 9 to help them achieve the best possible grade. The tutor will let each individual student know which timetable they should be following each week.
‘’The timetable gives us the chance to learn the theory and then implement this in practical coaching sessions’’.Football Education Scholar in 2012
As a Football Education Scholar with Accrington Stanley you will wear the club training kit, tracksuit and match day kit. You will become part of the Football Club.
Training will take place in the form of three 90 minute sessions per week at Hyndburn Leisure Centre by Accrington Stanley coaches. Training is designed to replicate the environment of a young professional sports person, and includes, technical development, tactical and match day set up, stretching, proprioception, and training games.
11 aside training pitch:
We have several teams for our players to represent with an 11 aside team that play in the English Colleges Category 3 League with home ties played at Hyndburn Leisure Centre on a state of the art 3G pitch. We travel on the team minibus to away games across the north of England.