Plymouth Argyle vs ASFC

League Two
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

Jordan Clark celebrated his first Stanley league goal to extend the Reds unbeaten run to 12 games and celebrate a win over promotion-chasing Plymouth.

The winger glanced home a header in the eighth minute to take his tally to three goals for the season – his other two have been in the cups.

Stanley had not won at Home Park since 1959 but Clark’s goal was enough to clinch the three points – and they could have won by more had it not been for superb goalkeeping by Luke McCormick.

However Fulham loan stopper Marek Rodak also produced a couple of outstanding saves as Stanley remain in 13th position – seven points outside the play-offs with six games to go.

Stanley opened the scoring on their first real attack when Sean McConville’s curling free kick to the left of the area was glanced home by Clark.

The Reds could have made it two on 16 minutes when in-form frontman Shay McCartan raced free with only McCormick to beat but the Plymouth stopper denied him with his legs.

A minute later, striker Billy Kee headed straight into the arms of the Argyle keeper as Stanley created the better early chances.

Plymouth began to find their feet and did then boss the possession for the rest of the first half but, while they put a number of balls into the box, keeper Rodak was only tested once.

That was in the 20th minute when he one-handedly kept out Antoni Sarcevic’s close range strike.

John Coleman was forced to change his defence on the stroke of half-time with Harvey Rodgers hobbling off, replaced by Janoi Donacien.

Matty Pearson had a great chance to put Stanley 2-0 up after the break when he charged onto a McConville cross in the six yard box but he could only chip the ball onto the crossbar and it bounced over.

Plymouth then made a triple substitution on 56 minutes and one of them Yann Songo’o headed over the bar shortly after.

But Stanley still continued to carve out chances with a McConville header at the far post well pushed out by McCormick and Clark’s follow-up was blocked.

Plymouth then piled on the pressure, looking for an equaliser, with an Oscar Threlkeld header bouncing down and other the bar and then Rodak produced a superb one-handed save to push over Songo’o’s goalbound header.

The Slovakian, back from international duty, again produced heroics to push over a Graham Carey sliding effort and he leapt to deny sub Ryan Taylor in the last 10 minutes.

McCartan could have made the win safe in the final minute when he charged forward, got himself into a good position but was once again kept out by McCormick and Threlkeld blocked the follow-up from Kee.

Stanley held on through five minutes of added time to record a memorable win.